Researched and written by Sierra Lewis.
Transportation Services Available to You and Your Loved Ones
A Hulpr is always happy to provide transportation, accompaniment and assistance to any members of our community, but did you know there are other options available to you? Here are a few for you to consider.
The Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) is a non-profit organization that provides a multitude of programs to support seniors and adults with disabilities across Canada.
- VON is staffed by a mixture of volunteers and paid employees who are committed to helping adults live as independently as possible.
- They have two transportation programs that provide accessible transportation to non-emergency appointments, including non-medical/personal trips such as shopping, social outings and day programs.
- They are available in certain regions across Ontario, including Kingston, Lanark, Leeds and Grenville, Hastings, Northumberland, Prince Edward County and Quinte West.
- VON does not require a referral, a call may be placed to VON directly to set up an in-home assessment of needs.
All other questions about VON transportation and services can be answered by their website www.von.ca or by calling 613-634-0130.
Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) is a government funded program available to adults who are experiencing difficulties with work, finances and activities of daily living, and who are expected to be dealing with physical or mental disabilities for at least one year. ODSP will provide funding for transportation to medical appointments with any registered health professional, counselling and therapy for mental health issues, and alcohol and drug recovery groups if the cost exceeds $15.00 per month for the individual. Some other things to consider with ODSP coverage:
- It cannot be used for any non-medical/personal outings (i.e shopping, social outings, community events).
- All transportation must be approved by ODSP worker prior to the date of.
- Individuals may receive funding through an increase in their monthly amount, or a third party agency may bill ODSP directly. ODSP works with many agencies in our community, including Hulpr.
- ODSP will cover the following modes of transportation: public transportation, personal vehicle, agency driver, taxi, and ambulance.
All other questions about coverage can be answered by your ODSP worker.
Kingston Access Bus is a local public program that provides accessible transportation to any visitors or members of the Kingston community who are living with a disability. The Kingston Access Bus:
- Operated within Kingston city limits, it is not available in rural areas.
- Individuals must complete an application and registration form prior to receiving services, this process may take up to 14 days.
- Services are available during certain times of day and evening, it is recommended to book services in advance, especially if they occur during peak times of day.
- This service is not recommended for those who experience a high level of discomfort during transportation or who experience difficulty staying in the vehicle for more than 1 hour as the bus can transport multiple people at once to different destinations across the city.
- Once registered, you may choose to pay on an individual basis, to buy a 10-ticket booklet, or 1 of 3 different monthly passes.
All other questions about the Kingston Access Bus, services and coverage can be answered on their website, www.kingstonaccessbus.net/information or by calling 613-542-2512.
There are also a small number of private organizations that provide accessible transportation. Many of them can be found on the South East Health Line (https://www.southeasthealthline.ca/search/SearchResult.aspx?q=Transportation%20Accessible%20Kingston&start=0)
At Hulpr, we want you to have the best coverage and fit for your needs. We are committed to providing our community with education as well as service and support. If the other agencies are unable to provide an individualized service that you need, feel free to call us at 613-329-0484 and our care team will be happy to see how we can help you.